I love breakfast and brunch sovery much and my favorite is eggs Benedict which is definitely not a clean choice (the again most brunch items are pretty sweet and Fattening and oh so good!). I decided to create a healthier option: poached eggs on top of a roasted green heirloom tomatoes
Using poached eggs means you won’t need any oil to fry eggs and using a tomato cuts the carb of the English muffin. I will add steamed spinach next time and if your looking for a treat avocado would be amazing on top!
- 1 large herloom tomatoe
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- Garlic (I used elephant)
- Combine water and vinegar in a small pot and fire up the oven to 450
- As you wait for the water to boil, slice the tomatoes to be about 1/4 inch thick. Slice garlic into thin slices.
- Place the tomatoes on a pan lined with foil and top with fresh ground pepper and sliced garlic
- Place tomatoes in oven and keep an eye on them
- Crack the egg into a small Tupperware dish so it makes it easier to drop into the water
- Use the handle of a spatula or spoon to quickly stir the water in one direction until it’s smoothly spinning around. Carefully drop the egg in the middle of the whirlpool
- Turn off the heat and set your timer for 5 minutes. Do not touch!
- Pull your tomatoes out of the oven
- Remove the egg with a slotted spoon and place on top your tomatoe and top with pepper and any other toppings you would like!